Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:56:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Klaus Werner Krygier <krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux emulation

Is it possible to force the Linux emulator to use the /compat/linux
tree only for shared libraries and other system files but not on the
user level?

I our heterogenous computer environment we use a commercial client/server
backup system (NSR) which runs on several platforms. Unfortunately, client
software for this system is available only for Linux and not for FreeBSD :-(.
This software seems to work fine under FreeBSD (because of the excellent
Linux emulation :)) but with one ugly exception:

Instead of files and directories in the / tree the /compat/linux tree is
accessed. Especially addressing of a subdirectory for which the
corresponding /compat/linux directory exists yields in accessing ONLY the
Linux files. The same effect occurs for example if you use a Linux find:
	$ ./find /etc
	/etc
	/etc/host.conf
	/etc/ld.so.conf
	/etc/ld.so.cache
	/etc/revision-history
	/etc/nsswitch.conf
	$
For backup purposes this behaviour is not very useful. In the worst case
a backup consists only of Linux files - the last thing we want to backup.

Can anyone help us?

Klaus Werner Krygier

| Dr. Klaus Werner Krygier            | Email: krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de |
| Institut für Kernphysik             |                                 |
| Johannes Gutenberg-Universität      | Tel:   +49-6131-39-2960         |
| J.J.Becher-Weg 45                   |        +49-6131-39-5192         |
| D-55099 Mainz                       | Fax:   +49-6131-39-2964         |