Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:12:39 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perhaps OT - Belkin KVM use warning (Belkin SOHO) - under Xfree86 4.x

I'm really sorry if people feel like this is a spam, but I just spent
the last 3 hrs - yes 3 hrs - working on a problem with xfree86 that
ended up being the-man-inbetween...  I use a Belkin SOHO Omniview KVM
switch in my home office so I can switch between a bunch of R&D
machines.  I was working on rebuilding an Intellistation M Pro w/ a
Matrox G450 (dual headed) AGP card and kept on having problems with the
screen "shaking" - if I moved my mouse, the screen would vibrate on my
Dell D1626HT (21" Trinitron relabled) monitor.  I was testing both RH
Linux and FreeBSD w/ X and had the same problem with both OS's (slightly
different versions of xfree86 4.x).  Of course, I never thought about
this being a quasi cabling issue, so I kept battling with it until I
remembered having something similar happen at work that was related to a
cable that couldn't handle the high resolution signal for a CAD
station.  No, I insisted, though, that that wasn't it - yes 3 ft under
the desk was too far for my hands to travel - and kept battling on.
Anyway, I finally got fed up and got rid of the Belkin KVM and voila -
it works great (any resolution I want), and I feel really stupid.

--begin real rant--
There have been other posts on this list regarding the Belkin KVM's -
one of the major complaints relating to scroll wheel mice - and this is
the final straw for me - IMHO video should be the least of my issues.  I
could somewhat understand the mouse issue, but this is a severe
annoyance.  Anyone interested in a slightly used 4-port USB & Audio
enabled Belkin SOHO Omniview KVM can have it for the best offer
(belkincrap AT stevenfettig DOT com)...  I'll even include UPS ground
shipping.  Warning, though, don't use this with any *nix flavor...
(Yes, it is supposed to support the resolution I was using, but it
doesn't - period.)  I hate this piece of crap and will never buy this
Belkin crap again - I have had numerous problems with their USB hubs,
etc, too.  wa wa wa...
--end real rant--

Okay, I feel better.  I just thought it would be a useful warning for
the archives.
Sorry, but I hope this will help someone avoid the same pain of my
laziness and stupidity.

Steve "please forgive me God because I'm lazy and stupid" Fettig