Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:31:54 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software bandwidth limiting solution

I have a situation where our link is being saturated (3+second rtt) by
_incoming_ web traffic going into the squid cache.  If I set up dummynet on the
firewall so that all traffic to the web cache goes via a pipe with 96kB/ sec
bandwidth limit (on a 128k link), will that be enough to leave some room on the
pipe for the rest of the packets?  I can see easily how well dummynet would
work if applied to the _sending_ end of the congested link, how well does it
work on the _receiving_ end?  Hints, experiences, comments welcome.

Greg.