Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCL84 Build error Socket Tests Hang FreeBSD 6.1-Stable #6

--- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:29:52PM -0700, backyard
> wrote:
> >

> > --- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:11:52PM -0700,
> backyard

> issues
> > > did
> tree
> > > and

> > > right

> > > Don't do that, it can cause problems
> >
> > can you be a little more specific? I was just
> using
> > CXXFLAGS+=-O3
> > before I thought the aliasing issues because of
> type
> > casting could cause issues and so
> -fno-strict-aliasing
> > was what you had to do to make optimization above
> > level 1 work rigt. At least thats what reading
> about
> > -fno-strict-aliasing seemed to get at with FreeBSD
> > specifically.
> >
> > should it be
> > CXXFLAGS+=
> > dafaulting to O2 with no strict aliasing? given my
>
> > CFLAGS=-pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
>
> Just use the defaults (which is currently the same
> as your CFLAGS).

> > > Don't do that, it can cause problems
> >
> > I know doing
> > make -j5 buildworld or buildkernel or just about
> > anything else would/used to puke things. But I
> haven't
> > seen any issues with MAKEOPTS doing that. Perhaps
> > until now? I know specifically make -j5 on the
> shell
> > would cause the build to skip the build and fail
> on
> > the install or skip the build of the objects and
> fail
> > on linking the uncompiled library.
>
> The base system is fine, but many ports of third
> party software fail
> to build (or the build misbehaves) with make -j.
>
> Kris

well I'll see if I have any better luck with the more
conservative CXXFLAGS and the removal of -j5 from
MAKEOPTS.

I have a conditional build directive for the system
build so I can update ports and sys separately as
having SUPFILE and PORTSUPFILE set seems to update
both whether I'm in /usr/ports or /usr/sys with a
"make update". If -j5 is safe for the FreeBSD build
I'll cut Makeopts into that knob, I hope thats the
right way to use that term...

thanks

-brian