Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:30:59 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        pizzaman@mail.on.rogers.wave.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing Free BDS with the WAVE

On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 07:38:28PM +0000, pizzaman@mail.on.rogers.wave.ca wrote:
> Date:          Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:28:29 -0800 (PST)
> From:          Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
> To:            Brent Johnson <pizzaman@mail.on.rogers.wave.ca>
> Cc:            freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Re: installing Free BDS with the WAVE
>
> On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Brent Johnson wrote:
>
> > > Okay so I decided to ditch Linux because I can't figure out how to
> > > install my SMC8416 etrhernet card which is connected to the cable modem.
> > > So I try FreeBDS and decided that, since it supposedly supports that
> > > card, I'd try and use the internet install method and guess what???
> > > 	No joy.
> >
> > Eh?  Check the boot probes; it should respond as ed0 (or de0 -- is it a
> > PCI or ISA card?).  If it's not found and it's an ISA card, type `-c' at
> > the boot: prompt and make sure the settings match those set on the card.
>
> 	It does not find ed0 at all. It says that there is no device (or
> something to that effect ). I used the install program that my card
> came with to check out it's IRQ and IO addresses. Io is 240 and the
> IRG is 11. The program tells me (well actually it shows me since my
> computer does not talk :^) ) that it is a 8416T 10Base-T i/o base
> 240 IRQ 11 node address 00-E0-29-03-21-27 (whatever that is). I had
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That would be the MAC address of your card.

> configured the kernel and put in the values that I was given but
> ...as I said before Still no joy. Oh yea, it is an Isa card. When the
> Guy from Rogers Wave came over to do the install he said he couldn't
> get the PCI card to work since I had an older Pentium PCI model and
> the plug and play didn't work the way it should.He replaced it with a
> ISA 16 bit card. Of course he also claimed the system didn't work and
> he would have to get someone to check it out the next day. (I was
> using the internet ten minutes after he left, It worked fine).
> 	I have reinstalled the card on two occassions under windows 95 with
> noproblem. So I do know how to set the parameters in TCPIP. (I do not
> mean to sound snotty when I say this, I just mnetion it so you will
> get the idea that I sorta know what I am doing)
>
> >  Before you can get anywhere, we need to find the card.  Once that's
> > found, then we can go on to configuring the system to talk to your
> > network.
>
> I would love to be able to find the card. Truth to tell I don't care
> which Unix clone I use as long as I can get one of them to work. I've
> about had it with Linux at this point. The only reason I want a Unix
> clone is to use the internet. Once I can get the family using it then
> I plan on chucking Windows forever.
>
> >  If you're having trouble, please post the output of the `dmesg'
> > command and the current IRQ & port settings of your Ethernet card as
> > supplied by the setup program (or in a pinch Win95).
>
> I can not output dmesg because I haven't got a clue what you're
> talking about
>
> >  (Preview: you'll have to install the WIDE DHCP client from the CD or
> > FTP site.)
> >
> > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> > Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> > http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major
> >
> 	I do appreciate any help you can offer on this. My frustration level
> is about to reach the top here.
>
> 								thanks
> 								Brent

Doug is asking you to mail him the output from the `dmesg' command; it
reports the messages your system issued when it booted. Just redirect
the output to a file and include the file in your reply.

  dmesg > foo

Creates a file named ``foo'' with the messages that Doug needs to help
you.

Hang in there. FreeBSD users are pretty good at solving problems like
these once they have enough background information.

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.