Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:01:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: 4.1 Release testing...

On 12-Jul-00 Brian J. McGovern wrote:
> Sorry I've been so quiet. It appears that mail to me from freefall has been
> hanging up until this morning. At least now I'm caught up (just in time to
> change ISPs... ;) )
>
> Anyhow, if everyone is serious about a code freeze on 7/20 for release on
> 7/25, how about this for a timetable....
>
> ISO images to be cut on 7/14, 7/17, 7/20 (at 'code freeze'), and 7/22.

So, we don't _have_ to have packages on the 14th and 17th, it would just
be nice?  Satoshi, do you have any recent package builds we could use to
build a full CD #1 sitting on the build cluster?

> By 7/24, all feedback in to Jordan for a go/no go decision. If there is still
> a show stopping bug, bump the release to 7/28, and roll another RC on 7/25.
> Continue bumping the release by 3 days as needed to squish the show-stopping
> bugs.
>
> Now, I'm sure Jordan is squirming over bumping back the release date, but I'd
> like to remind everyone that on 4.0, Jordan released the image before he read
> my mail that we slipped in a bug the night before in sysinstall that causes
> it
> to crash when selecting a custom install. This effectively rendered my 4.0
> CDs useless, as every time I want to play with 4.0, I have to go make
> floppies to boot from.
>
> Now, with this schedule, it a.) gives people time to download, and b.) we'll
> get one full cut of the CD either at 7/20 and/or 7/22, depending on when
> Jordan gets the full package set together.
>
> The last thing that needs to be done is we need to pick a machine that has
> reasonable speeds for the most people. In the past, this was releng3, but it
> no longer seems to be alive. ftp.cdrom.com won't cut it, unless we can all
> download at 5am... Suggestions?

releng4 exists and works fine. :)  It also has the daily snaps on it so that
people can start testing early if they wish.