Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:47:05 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade woes

I have 3.3 release installed on a P90 with 32 MB of RAM.
Fairly basic install. Tried upgrading to 4.0 in these
ways:

1- cvsup the source and make buildworld
2- /stand/sysinstall with FTP set to ftp.freebsd.org and
   release set to /.0/FreeBSD/release/i386/4.0-RELEASE

Problems in the first case: often had compiler crashes
(signal 11, signal 10 and signal 4). Got it finally working
after running with -DNOCLEAN -DNOGAMES. Then tried installworld
and it crashed midway, unrecoverable (finally froze). Had
to reinstall 3.3 from CD's (minimal, saved most of my config).

Problems in the second case: also ended up crashing mid-way
leaving me with a completely unstable system. As when after
the installworld, even the shell core dumped (so did df, du,
bash, getty, most everything crashed). Had to wipe the system
(two HD's, so I had partial backup) but it was still a pain.

Now resorting to downloading the 4.0 release ISO to burn a
copy. However it still doesn't explain why I'm getting so
much trouble upgrading the system. I was able (on different
systems, however) to do the troublesome upgrade from 2.2.7 to
3.0 last year, and that seemed to go without too much trouble
compared to this. Would anyone have any idea whatsoever why
buildworld kept crashing, installworld failed miserably and
left me with an unstable system, and downloading the binary
install with FTP from the main site left my system in even
worse state? All I want to do is understand what's happening
so I don't repeat the same mistakes over and over mindlessly.
I mean, how hard can it be to upgrade FreeBSD from 3.x to 4.x?
What am I missing? Or is it just something that can't be helped
with my system?

Oh! another weird thing I saw was on bootup, the bootstraps seemed
to detect disks 2 and 3 as the C drive, and gave the D drive disk
4... I'm not even sure what those messages are, but then again I
haven't even started digging into it. Now, after a wipe/reinstall,
it shows only the three drives (A,C,D) instead of 4 (A,C,C,D).

Thanks in advance,

Emmanuel Gravel