Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:17:04 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        ecrist@secure-computing.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time CUPS user, config problems?

Eric Crist wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I'm trying to use CUPS for the first time, with all the good things I've
> heard/read about it on this list.  I'm mainly trying to use it as I've got an
> OfficeJet G85 that I've never used with FreeBSD and linuxprinting.org has a
> 'mostly' working driver.
>
> Here's what I've done thus far:
>
> I've installed CUPS, and have a running daemon.  I can login and install
> printers.  I've downloaded the recommended the correct .ppd file according to
> linuxprinting.org, and tried installing the foomatic scripts it says I need.
>
> When I try to print a test page, I get no output what-so-ever and no
> indication on the printer anything has even happened.
>
> I don't know where the CUPS logfile would be, so I can't read that.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Cups installs /usr/local/bin/lp and /usr/local/bin/lpr and leaves
/usr/bin/lp and /usr/bin/lpr in place. Back these up, symlink the cups
versions into their places and try again.

If you want to verify you have a properly running Cups before you do
this, use the web interface (http://localhost:631) to print a test page.
It ought to work.

HTH

Peter.