Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:36:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cscott <cscott@telinco.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: expanding vinum concatinations

Your MUA wraps computer output.

On Thursday,  4 October 2001 at  4:43:56 +0100, cscott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently being playing around with vinum but am having a few
> problems
>
> I have a concatinated plex consisting of 3 subdisks, this works fine.
> What i want to do is add more space to the plex without losing data
> already on it, this is where the problem starts.
>
> If my understanding is correct i need to add a subdisk then attach it to
> the plex with the attach command
> here is my existing config
>
> vinum -> list
> 3 drives:
> D vinumdrive0           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1e      Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
> D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1f      Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
> D vinumdrive2           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1g      Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
>
> 1 volumes:
> V big                   State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        749 MB
>
> 1 plexes:
> P big.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     3 Size:        749 MB
>
> 3 subdisks:
> S big.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        249 MB
> S big.p0.s1             State: up       PO:      249 MB Size:        249 MB
> S big.p0.s2             State: up       PO:      499 MB Size:        249 MB
>
> now to add a subdisk i create the following file
>
> 	drive vinumdrive3 device /dev/ad3s1h
> 	sd name s3.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive3
>
> then run the following comand
>
> 	create new
>         3: sd name s3.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive3
>         ** 3 No space for  on vinumdrive3: No space left on device

You didn't specify a size.

>         D vinumdrive0           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1e Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
>         D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1f Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
>         D vinumdrive2           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1g Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
>         D vinumdrive3           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1h Avail: 799/799 MB (99%)
>
>         1 volumes:
>         V big                   State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        749 MB
>
>         1 plexes:
>         P big.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     3 Size:        749 MB
>
>         2 subdisks:
>         S big.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        249 MB
>         S big.p0.s1             State: up       PO:      249 MB Size:        249 MB
>         S big.p0.s2             State: up       PO:      499 MB Size:        249 MB
>
> As you can see the subdisk wasnt created but vinum now know about the
> drive.

Correct.  This is a feature, not a bug.

> I have searched around all I can but cant seem to find anything to
> suggest how to do this, or maybe in just being dumb

Specify a size.  Agreed, the message didn't help.  I'll look into
that.

> Assuming I get the subdisk created am I correct in thinking all i have
> to do is an
> 	attach new_sub_disk big
> or do I need to stop anything first?

big is a volume.  You can't attach subdisks to volumes.  Attach to the
plex you want it in instead, in this case presumably big.p0.

> Also do I need to do a makedev afterwards?

No.  You should never need to do a makedev.  To quote the man page:

     makedev
             The makedev command removes the directory /dev/vinum and recre-
             ates it with device nodes which reflect the current configura-
             tion.  This command is not intended for general use, and is pro-
             vided for emergency use only.

> Finally, I realise I wont see the new capacity until the filesystem
> is configured to use it. Presumably I can use growfs to do this
> without any problems on freebsd 4.4

Hopefully.  You'll need to umount the file system first.

> This is the disklabel of the test drive
> # /dev/ad3s1:
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  3173121        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 786*)
>   e:   512000        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 126*)
>   f:   512000   512000     vinum                        # (Cyl.  126*- 253*)
>   g:   512000  1024000     vinum                        # (Cyl.  253*- 380*)
>   h:  1637121  1536000     vinum                        # (Cyl.
380*- 786*)

Why do you have four drives on one spindle?  One's enough.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.