Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:06:46 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r193112 - head/etc/rc.d

--ZoaI/ZTpAVc4A5k6

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:46:39PM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 2009, Doug Barton wrote:
>=20
> DB> Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> DB> > Doug,
> DB> >=20
> DB> > On Sat, 30 May 2009, Doug Barton wrote:
> DB> >=20
> DB> >=20
> DB> > Was there an agreement what should one do with dumping to gmirror (=
see=20
> DB> > sbin/geom/class/mirror/gmirror.8) ?
> DB>=20
> DB> I'm not familiar with that issue, but it sounds like something that
> DB> needs its own rc.d script. If someone who knows what is supposed to
> DB> happen wants to write something up and send it to the freebsd-rc@ list
> DB> I'll be glad to help review it.
>=20
> Something like (checks should be added, yeah)
>=20
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # $FreeBSD$
> #
>=20
> # BEFORE: savecore
> # PROVIDE: gmirror-savecore
> # KEYWORD: nojail
>=20
> . /etc/rc.subr
>=20
> name=3D"gmirror_savecore"
> start_cmd=3D"gmsavecore_start"
> stop_cmd=3D":"
>=20
> gmsavecore_start()
> {
>         gmirror configure -b prefer /dev/dumpdev
> }
>=20
> load_rc_config $name
> run_rc_command "$1"
>=20
> possibly?

It's not that simple...

First you have to remember previous balance algorithm and recover it
once dumping crash dump is done.

You also have to check if dumpdev is placed somewhere on a gmirror
provider, which is not that simple, unfortunately.

Imagine your dump partition is called /dev/label/dump and there is a
long way to gmirror provider:

	label/dump -> mirror/root0s1b -> mirror/root0s1 -> mirror/root0

You can't just call 'gmirror configure -b prefer /dev/label/dump'.

I'm happy to review another patch, but I don't really have any bright
idea of how this should be implemented:)

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--ZoaI/ZTpAVc4A5k6

--ZoaI/ZTpAVc4A5k6--