Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:12:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tcl package -- part of existing port or new port (and if so, where)?

Thanks to help from folks here, I was able to get the PR sent in to
upgrade the port I maintain (astro/gpsman) to the current version from
the author:  thanks!

Now, this query is related, in a fashion:  gpsman is written in Tcl.  And
it is written so that at run time, it can determine if certain facilities
are available, and if so, make use of them.

A new such facility is called "gpsmanshp"; it is "A Tcl Package to Read
and Write Shapefiles".  Quoting further from its documentation:

	gpsmanshp was developed for use in GPSMan, a manager of GPS
	receiver data, available from
	http://www.ncc.up.pt/~mig/gpsman.html....

So there are aspects of gpsmanshp that are rather tailored to its
intended use with gpsman; on the other hand, it may be used by other
code, and neither gpsman nor gpsmanshp actually require the presence or
use of the other.  They were both written by the same person, Miguel
Filgueriras.  And while gpsman is (as mentioned above) written in Tcl,
gpsmanshp is written in C, and supplies Tcl commands.

Thus, I seek advice:  should I jsut revise the gpsman port to include
gpsmanshp (unless the installer specifies otherwise?) or should I make
gpsmanshp its own port?  If the latter, where would it go?

Or is there some other option that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
david
I strive to make networks of computers that work.  Thus, I avoid the use of
Microsoft products:  I am not a masochist, and I know that choices exist.