Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 19:09:10 -0700
From:      UCTC Sysadmin <support@transbay.net>
To:        Bill Pierskalla <bpierskalla@qx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failure to compile

Bill Pierskalla wrote:

> Just want to say thanks for responding so quickly. You can't pay for that
> type of service anymore. By the way I shut the external cache in BIOS and it
> flew! Excellent!

Thanks.

Of course if the cache is disabled the machine will be slower, maybe a way lot slower.

If using better cache memory (faster, or name-brand) does not allow crash-free
compiles with the cache enabled, get a different motherboard.

You might be able to disable the cache, compile/install new kernel and reenable cache,
and it might even run 'okay'. (That worked for EnnTee in times past.)
But I wouldn't trust the machine. For fun and games, but not production.

-ecsd