Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2011 11:22:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS version 30

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Olivier Smedts wrote:

> After having acquired Sun, Oracle said (I think I read that) they
> won't change the license of the zfs sources and the developments will
> continue like they were, but they'll only disclose sources after a
> Solaris launch. Solaris Express is here, but still no Solaris 11. Any
> news on that ?

Even Solaris 10_u10 got retracted from the Oracle download site.  No
one knows anything (or will say anything) until there is an official
statement from Oracle.  It seems likely that Solaris 10_u10 and
Solaris 11 will be released with some fanfare in conjunction with new
Oracle hardware products (e.g. based on the SPARC T4 CPU).

The Oracle "memo" was a leaked internal memo.  Oracle has never
clarified its intentions regarding OpenSolaris source code releases.
We can only hope that Oracle does the right thing and at least
releases zfs source code updates in order to avoid fragmentation of
the filesystem format.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn