Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:24:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tyson Boellstorff <tysonb@pionet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp installation using USR PNP internal modem

[ install@freebsd.org isn't actually for installation question - it's
  a mailing list for people working on the new installer.  Similarly,
  hardware@freebsd.org is for discussing types of hardware and
  recommendd purchases rather than "hardware problems", per-se.
  Please use questions@freebsd.org in the future for general installation
  failures - thanks! ]

> Basically, I am trying to set up an install over a ppp connection using
> an Intel Thor (P5-166) motherboard. I have set the serial ports in CMOS
> to auto, and have my internal modem (USR Sportster Orion chipset) hard
> set to com 1, irq 4.
>
> When I have this configuration, I am unable to set up ppp on com 1. My
> first & only option is com 2.

Have you tried reassigning "sio0" and "sio1" to match your desired
configuration?  Don't forget that sio0's mapping to "COM1" is entirely
arbitrary, and you could actually point it at a modem on "COM4" just
as easily.

Hope this helps.

					Jordan