Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:13:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: keeping a system in use during a complete rebuild?

Richard E. Hawkins wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I am becoming increasingly suspicious that my installation took
> some damage while the mainboard was failing.  I have seen, among
> other things, log files with garbage characters, as well as the
> general strange behavior.

I assume you have replaced the mb, and ensured that your hardware is
operating correctly now? You will definitely want to make sure of that
before spending the time to rebuild/reinstall everything.

> I cannot put my system aside for a couple of days to rebuild, due
> to several deadlines this week.  What I'm contemplating is
> something along the lines of moving /usr to /usr2, adding /usr2 to
> my paths as a user but not as root, and trying to recompile every
> last line on the machine, and every single port. (I currently have
> inconsisencies from files that are present without ports, files
> overwritten by other ports, etc.)
>
> Is this doable?  will I regret it?

This would be the HARD way, and you would probably regret it. For most
all build operations, you can run "make" or "make all", which will
compile the relevant sources to an object directory. Just don't make
the "install" target until you're ready to go (and it is recommended
that you drop to single user mode prior to running installworld).

You can upgrade most all ports on a running system without any
worries. Check out the portupgrade port|package to make life easy.

> hawk

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon