Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 22:19:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to install Linksys LNE100TX

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Ian P. Thomas wrote:

> 	I just purchased a Linksys LNE100TX Etherfast card for the cable
> connection I'm having installed in the next few days.  I'm running 3.2
> Release using the pn0 driver.  The kernel will compile with this
>
> device 	pn0 at pci? port 0x300 net irq 10
>
> 	or
>
> device 	pn0
>
> 	but will not compile with
>
> device 	pn0 at pci? port 0x300 net irq 10

The first and third appear the same. Use the second
form.

> 	probably because it is a pci card and not an isa.  At any rate,
> dmesg does not show any pn0 device being detected on bootup.  I have
> enabled and disabled pnp OS in the BIOS with the same results(I don't think
> PCI cards use pnp, do they?).  Am I missing a step?  I've never installed a
> NIC before so I'm probably missing something obvious.

I'm not surprised you're having problems. You have a
(relatively) old version of FreeBSD (which is okay)
but there have been at least four(4) versions of this
card since it was introduced by Linksys, and you have
what looks like a very new card. The downside is that
the drivers are not compatible.

I think the LNE100TX support (pn) you see on -your-
version of FreeBSD is for the PNIC chip -only-.

.cr