Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:57:42 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Manuel Hendel <Manuel.Hendel@easygolucky.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: securing open ports 515(printer) and 6000(X11)??

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 03:44:20PM +0100, Manuel Hendel wrote:
> I got FreeBSD 4.5 on my desktop installed. Natural I got X and printer
> installed, I need it, but I don't want it listening on all interfaces!
> I just want to listen it on localhost! Is that possible somehow?

lpd(8) is easy,

     -p      The -p flag causes lpd not to open an Internet listening socket.
             This means that lpd will not accept any connections from any
             remote hosts, although it will still accept print requests from
             all local users.

For X, see Xserver(8),

        -nolisten trans-type
               Disable  a  transport  type.   For example, TCP/IP
               connections can be disabled with -nolisten tcp

Did you actually look at netstat(1) though? The default XFree86 will
start your X in the "no listen" state from startx(1) for you.