Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 11:03:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Jason Blackston <Jakor@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Downloading files

For netscape try downloading the package and see if that works.
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.6/All/netscape-navigator-4.04.tgz
(or communicator). Otherwise if you want to continue with the port go to
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/distfiles and download the distfile that the port is
looking for. Try one of the mirror sites first (to keep traffic down) but
I've found that some ports (like netscape) only appear to be available at
ftp.freebsd.org
Put the downloaded distfile in /usr/ports/distfiles and try to `make` the
port again.

Getting a different window manager is the same kind of thing. Have a look
at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11.html there are a few window managers
in there. As for setting them up that's a different story. I'm trying to
come to grips with fvwm2. Basically in your .xinitrc you put the name of
your preferred window manager in place of where it currently says twm.
Then you start customising.

There are man pages available when you install the ports/packages eg: man
fvwm2

When you get this far ask on the list and someone will probably give you a
start. (or I might have worked it out a bit better by then)

hope this helps
Andrew Perry