Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:39:24 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>, MET <met@uberstats.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add more space to the /usr partition || DUMB & DUMBER!

At 12:04 PM 8.16.2002 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

>Jack L. Stone wrote:

>>>   but you should be warned that e. g. cvs breaks if your repository
>>>   path contains symlinks. there's bound to be more boneheaded
>>>   software, though it might not reach the cvs level.
>>>
>>>--
>>>

>> It was also my understanding that "symlinks" can slow things down too.....
>> not sure about that, but a consideration for any directories that move a
>> lot of data...
>

>On my system that does buildworlds the fastest, I created 1.5 GB
>partitions on the 2nd and 3rd hard drives for /usr/src and /usr/obj.
>Each HD is on its own ATA-100 controller. I mount in them /etc/fstab as
>/usr/src and /usr/obj. The 1.5 GB is overkill but I am only using 10% of
>what was left, which means I haven't affected anything.
>
>I also did this so I could NFS mount them. Make knows the real path and
>builds on linked fs also have to be linked the same way on the system
>doing the nfs_mounting.
>
>Kent

Taking that a step further, IF one has several servers to maintain, use a
"slave box" to keep all of the /usr/src and /usr/obj files and let the
other machines be "parasites" and use these directories/files over NFS.
Thus, only ONE machine needs to keep those files... and does all of the
CVSuping and compiling as was discussed another day on this list. The
parasites can mount up through FSTAB too....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net