Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2018 21:58:18 -0400
From:      William Dudley <wfdudley@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Miller <vrwmiller@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HELP upgrade 10.3 to 11.2, now it won't boot!

Rick,

The problem was that my root partition had an "old" name: /dev/ad0s1a,
instead of the
"new" name, /dev/ada0s1a.  I booted a live CD and fixed it, and now it's
booting.

That scared the crap out of me.

I'm not running ZFS -- I try to be as conservative as possible, not wanting
to get bitten
by experimental new tech.  So the boot drive is PATA, UFS.  I have a
gmirror running
on some SATA drives where the data is actually stored.

Thanks very much for your help -- you had the answer.

If you're ever in central New Jersey, let me buy you a beer.  Or equivalent.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.