Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:35:55 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is gio-fam?

On =D7=A6=D7=D4=CF=D2=CF=CB 08 =CB=D7=A6=D4=C5=CE=D8 2008, Joe Marcus Clark=
e wrote:
=3D > I'm trying to build graphics/vips, which works. Then I try to install
=3D > it, and that suddenly requires devel/gio-fam-backend.
=3D=20
=3D You need to follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING to upgrade
=3D all GNOME-related ports after GNOME 2.22 was merged.

So, once again, I have to update half of my ports in order to add a new por=
t=20
to the system, that's happily functioning with the older version(s).

This is not right... I ought to be able to use the older gnome to my heart'=
s=20
content, until a particular application begins to /require/ some new featur=
es=20
of the new gnome.

=3D gio-fam-backend is a new piece of glib which provides a wrapper around
=3D FAM to allow applications to monitor file objects using a glib API.

Thanks for the details.

	-mi