Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:54:09 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bar Code Scanning

Troy Settle wrote:

> Get a scanner that plugs inline with the keyboard.  The scanner then sends
> text to the keyboard buffer.  FreeBSD won't give a hoot that it's scanned or
> typed.

This is definitely the easy way. However, these bar code scanners are
mostly toy versions of the real thing. My definition of a real thing
is a scanner that can read each bar code on the blades of a running
fan. That works out to be about 90 good scans a second. The toys are
the simple wands, which can force re-reads because of more frequent
bad reads. They all have problems with attitude of the scanner to the
bar code because of reflections.

The ones I have used and programmed around were usually associated
with the serial port, use lasers, have a button or trigger to start
the scan, and read without touching the bar code like most of the
wands do. It doesn't take a lot of reads to wear out a bar code if you
rub it during the read. There was a device handler on a Unix box that
fed information into a program waiting for I/O. The bar code scanners
returned an ASCII string via a query to the handler. They even have
some bar code scanners that were hooked up via radio. You can
inventory or what ever as you walked around a manufacturing plant. I
helped with setting up the radio but not any of the data phases on the
radio project. These programs were all pretty KISS simple FORTRAN
programs. They were still on HP 1000's because of the number of four
line terminals that these really old machines could handle. The device
handlers were probably written 15-20 years ago, which was long before
I got involved.

Kent

> -Troy

Kent Stewart