Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:11:13 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Signal 11

On Mar 29, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Pekka Savola wrote:
>  - setting up irqs as sources for /dev/random pool, (in my case vmstat
> -i shows a lot of activity at 2, 10, 0 and 8, and I used the first two
> with rndcontrol and then in rc.conf w/ rand_irqs=)

IRQ 0 and 8 are clock interrupts (1/HZ for the scheduler, and a RTC),
and IRQ 2 has some odd aggregate or multiplexing function for
historical reasons; none of these make a good choice as an entropy
source.

Using an IRQ for your NIC (10?) and/or an interrupt for your hard drive
(14?) are much better.

--
-Chuck