Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:23:51 +0000
From:      Werther Pirani <werther@wservice.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio and FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE

   Hi!

Sorry to bother you, but checking the archives provided no definitive
answer, so I thought I'd ask instead.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a PC with LuckyStar K7VAT motherboard
(http://www.lucky-star.com.tw/products/mainboard/k7vat.htm).  Such board
is based on the VIA KT-133 chipset and the (in)famous VIA VT82C686.

Judging from what I've read so far, this kind of setup seems to work for
some users, but not for others.  Maybe someone can shed some light?

I added the line "device pcm" in my configuration file (that's the only
audio related entry there), compiled and installed the new kernel and at
boot time I see:

pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio> port
0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdcff irq 10 at device 7.5 on pci0

So far, so good.  Then:

# cd  /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan 17 2001 19:50:43
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio> at io 0xdc00 irq 10 (1p/1r channels
duplex)

However, "xmms" produces something which is similar to white noise but
of course is not really white noise -- different songs produce different
noise.

On the other hand, "amp" fails altogether:

$ amp 13stories.mp3

amp 0.7.6, (C) Tomislav Uzelac 1996,1997
THIS PROGRAM COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
PLEASE READ THE DOCUMENTATION FOR DETAILS

Playing: 13stories.mp3

Properties:    stereo 44100Hz
Coding Method: MPEG1.0 layer3
Bitrate:       192kbit/s
Unable to set required audio format
Broken pipe

At the moment the only application able to produce some sound is
"xgalaga", although it starts with the error message "xgal.sndsrv:
Couldn't set DSP rate"!

Now, am I doing something wrong or there's no way to make sound work on
my setup?

Many thanks in advance,

Werther