Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 12:23:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        Wagemans Peter <PWA@lbvgrna.logica.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5 and Adaptec 1542CP?

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Peter Dufault wrote:

> > Recently I acquired the FreeBSD 2.0.5 CD set (locally in the Netherlands),
> > based on the claim that the Adaptec 154x series ISA SCSI cards are
> > supported. However, I don't seem to be able to get the kernel to work with
> > my 1542CP card (note the P). Is this card actually supported?
>
> The 1542CP doesn't work with 2.05.  The driver's been fixed to work with
> it, and also to hopefully not break that way in the future.  2.1
> supports it properly.

Sorry, but I beg to differ.  I'm using a FreeBSD 2.0.5 system with a
1542CP to type this message right now.  The key is in the SCSI BIOS
configuration -- there are several values marked as "you must set this
option in a certain way to maintain compatiblity with UNIX and other
operating systems"  those need to be set up right, or else all sorts of
weird things occur.

But anyway, the card works!  The only thing is, at boot, it says "Unknown
card version - VD.0".  But that's it -- everything else works beautifully.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 // FAX 564-2315 // WWW http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dburr
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **