Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 16:47:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Density codes for Exabyte 8505XL

Hi,

Does anyone know what density code I should use in the mt command to get
max density on an Exabyte 8505XL 8mm tape drive?  I'm using
freebsd-current as of 2/9/97.  An "mt status" gives the following:

Present Mode:   Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = X3.136-1986  Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2:         Density = X3.39-1986   Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = X3.54-1986   Blocksize variable

But the modes listed here don't really correspond what I'd expect to see
for a helical scanning tape drive.  I have been able to use density
mode X3.202-1991 (hex code 0x14) but I don't whether is the the max
density code for my drive and I don't know what other codes might be
available.  Codes 0x13 and 0x15 (which are listed at helical scan density
codes in the mt manpage) don't work on my drive.

Thanks,

Tom