Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 1995 12:29:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > 	Either I'm missing something really simple, or its missing...
> >
> > 	...but this OS does not have a utility that will allow one
> > to add a new drive onto an existing system.
> >
> > 	I've looked at 'man -k disk', and about the only things I
> > find are 'fdisk' and 'disklabel'...neither of which helps in anyway.
>
> That's basically what you need to add a new disk, yes.  Perhaps also
> an editor for /etc/fstab.
>
> Arguably, the user interface is terrible, but you can hardly claim
> it's not there.  (Indeed, that's what everybody else is using, or
> don't you think we have to add a disk ourselves ervery now and then?)

	Actually, the user interface itself is perfect, if it wasn't
hidden inside the Installation interface, and required you to commit
to an install in order for it to add your drive...

	...and, as to "what everybody else is using"...as you mention
below...how many ppl know about the "wizard" mode that is in 2.0.5's
sysinstall?  I found out about it in IRC last night, chatting with
Gary and a few others...

	Kudos to those that have written sysinstall to date, in putting
a "Write" function in 2.1's sysinstall, at least that helps a bit...but
still, it would be so much nicer to pull the Fdisk/Label Editor out of
the install phase and add it in (duplicate it, in fact) in the main
menu.

	I don't know what is being designed, but what I also foudn out
last night is that sysinstall will soon be no more, as it is (to my
understanding) growing to be a mess to maintain.

> If you feel inspired, take the libdisk (/usr/src/release/libdisk),
> have a look at the tst01.c program there (a demonstration, basically
> the same like the wizard mode in sysinstall), and wrap a nice front-
> end around it.  Don't forget to put a BSD-like Copyright on top, and
> contribute us your code.  That's how this system is actually
> evolving...

	I'll try...

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.