Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:43:22 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail autoresponder

On 2006-02-17 11:24, Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>    I've got a box that i took over that runs sendmail, mailscanner, and sa
> for antispam. There's an email address at one of the domains that the owner
> has indicated he would like an autoresponder hooked to it. THe objective is
> whenever someone sends to that address it won't be delivered to a mailbox,
> but dropped and the autoresponder msg will be sent back. I'm a sendmail
> newbie in the extreme and would appreciate any advice.

You can enable the `blacklist_recipients' feature, by adding this to
your sendmail.mc file:

    FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access')
    FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')

Then, adding entries like this to /etc/mail/access and rebuilding the
access.db map will block email for the particular address:

    To:user@host.domain		REJECT

or even the more descriptive:

    To:user@host.domain		ERROR:550 Mailbox disabled for this recipient

If you need more help for making the `access.db' map work and updating
the configuration files in `/etc/mail', feel free to ask.

- Giorgos