Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:19:53 GMT
From:      David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   video problems 1600X1200 mode

I can't get my video to work in 1600X1200 properly in unix
but I can in Windows 95.

SuperProbe says my graphics card is;

First video: Super-VGA
	Chipset: ATI 264GT3 (3D Rage Pro) (Port Probed)
	Memory:  8192 Kbytes
	RAMDAC:  ATI Mach64 integrated 15/16/24/32-bit DAC w/clock
		 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
		 (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
	Attached graphics coprocessor:
		Chipset: ATI Mach64
		Memory:  8192 Kbytes

So in XF86Setup I picked the closest I could;

ATI MACH64 GT(264GT) aka 3D Rage

which works fine in 1280Xwhatever mode
1600X1200 WILL work if I downgrade color to 16

When, while experimenting, I changed the driver to "ATI Wonder SVGA"
at 32 bit, it worked but another problem was created;
every time I went out of X, my monitor turned off! (maybe somehow
activating power saving auto-off capability)

My monitor is a KDS 19" with frequency capability of
vertical 50-160
horizontal 30-95

Is what I want possible in FreeBSD?