Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:03:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bizarre email problem

I've run into a situation that's got me completely stumped.  I'm running
FreeBSD (cvsup'd and rebuilt last night) in a virtual hosting
environment.  I have to machines, ashburn and bunning.  ashburn is the web
host, bunning is the mail host.

Most of our hosts use the ip address of ashburn, but a few have their own
IPs, aliased onto ashburn.  Yesterday, I had to change those IPs to new
ones, also aliased onto ashburn.  When I did that, however, strange mail
stuff started happening.

Clients on ashburn have various CGI scripts to send email.  After the
change, mail that originates on ashburn for the domains that got the new
IP addresses is trying to be delievered directly to ashburn, even though
nslookup shows that ashburn knows that the preferred MX host is
bunning.  There's nothing for these hosts in sendmail.cw or the
virtusertable, either.  If I try to send mail directly to
"user@affected_domain.com" from ashburn, it bounces immediately with
"Unknown user".  Mail sent from outside ashburn gets to the correct place.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on, I'd love to hear it.

--Wade