Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2007 19:15:58 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: Server Reboot

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 08:19:12AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Grant Peel wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >This is the first time in 10 years I have seen this.
> >
> >I have a Dell PE750 (vintage 2004), running FreeBSD 6.2 that had been
> >up and running for about 30 days without any issues.
> >
> >The server somehow rebooted last night, apparently,  all by itself.
> >
> >The last log file line I can find waqs about 12:30 AM. The dmesg shows
> >it restarted about 1:12 AM. dmesg shows some file errors that were
> >fixed upon reboot, other that that, everything is back up and running
> >normally.
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar and if a cause was
> >found.
> >
> >Here is what I know:
> >
> >-all servers (there are 5 more) are plugged into the same power bar
> >and none of the others were affected
> >-none of the standard logs show any intrusion or root log in attempt,
> >-dmesg and console log show nothing of note,
> >-the DRAC logs and ESM logs show nothing,
> >-the sensors (temp,voltage,etc) logs currently show no issues, all
> >well withing normal parms.
> >-my MRTG logs show no abnormal CPU usage or network activity.
> >

> >Any help would be appreciated,
> >
> >-Grant
>
>    Check the capacitors on the motherboard (in particular near the
> memory and processor); they may be going bad (esp with that vintage.
> 2004 Dell was a bad year =P..).
>    You'll be looking for swelled capacitors and possibly some orange
> dialectric being emitted.
> -Garrett

	Strange.   In just the past few, 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks my
	Dell-8200 has  spontaneouslyrebooted too.  I do have a number of
	things in /var/log/messages, but nothing that I can seee that
	would cause this problem.  Before the video-card started flaking
	out, this puppy ran for weeks/months happily.  AFAIW, X (or a
	heavily-loaded system) shouldn't have aynything to do with this
	problem, [yes/no??].   Any clues, Garrett?

	Ah, wait: dmesg.yesterday says

rl0: link state changed to UP
pid 729 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
pid 4475 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
pid 60174 (firefox-bin), uid 1000: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 47564 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 47570 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 79051 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 79057 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 3625 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 3631 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 74013 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

	This file is timestamped 03 Oct 07 at 03:17

	Anybody know why firefox would core dump?  I have no clue waht
	"conftest" is... .

	Grant, how oten has your system failed?

	gary

--