Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:25:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>, Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>, Ted Cabeen <secabeen@pobox.com>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hogwash

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> This one is clearly different.  We have a tool which can avoid people being
> holed, without having to publish a patch.
>
> If you don't understand that, please go back and study the situation more.
>
> By holding this information back for a few more days, we are
> permitting a very important protocol to be upgraded in an immune way,
> OR YOU CAN TURN IT OFF NOW.

By "tool", you mean a workaround, correct?

Does this exception to full disclosures include all rootable exploits?

Is it to be implied that a full disclosure becomes a reality once a patch
is available?

I for one respect what Theo does, but this whole thing seems kind of
hypocritical.  Then again, everyone is once in a while.  So be it.

Also, this talk of a trojan horse or whatever sounds like "hogwash".

From what I've seen, I think people are getting "scared" into upgrading
and using privsep.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just seems kind
of silly that people have to be scared in order to take security
seriously.

My two cents.