Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 19:41:48 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW + NATD + stateful ruleset?

IPFW has 3 different rule categories.  Stateless, Simple stateful,
setup/established,
and advanced stateful, check-state/keep-state.   Stateless rules are very
primitive,
they allow or deny individual packet types and have no knowledge of the
session
conversation. Simple stateful is basically an rule file logic coding
technique to
group tcp packets together in the rules file. It has minimal knowledge of
the session
conversation.  Advanced stateful which first became part of IPFW in FBSD
version 4.0 uses an dynamic rules table which tracks the packet session
conversation
of the by-directional exchange of packets between your FBSD host and the
remote system.

If you are going to use IPFW for your firewall you should use advanced
stateful rules
exclusively as they provide the max in firewall protection.

Now here is the problem, advanced stateful rules are not documented in the
FBSD handbook
and the sample rules file that come with FBSD are out dated and provides no
comments about
how the rules are intended to be used.  The man page on ipfw is as usual
very hard to
understand as it just lists the values that can be used in the rule context.
Nowhere does it describe
how to organize the rules in the rules file for functional control.
Compounded on top
of this is the question about using user ppp -nat function or IPFW's built
in divert natd function.
Advanced stateful rules and IPFW's built in divert natd function is very
hard to get to function
correctly for an LAN behind the file wall.

The bottom line is most inexperienced firewall builders should use advanced
stateful rules and
user ppp -nat function for modem dialup stand-a-lone FBSD workstations and
firewall servers
with lans behind them.  For DSL and cable internet connection you have to
use the IPFW built
in divert natd rule and with advanced stateful rules. Many users never get
this configuration to
function correctly. This is what I believe you are referring to.

I have stumbled into the solution to this problem after many months of
testing.
This solution has only been tested on FBSD version 4.5.
There can not be any rules before the divert natd rule, and all private LAN
Nic interface devices must
have keep-state on the rule so they get in sync with the keep-state dynamic
table rules for the
DSL or Cable internet connection interface. See rule 500 below.

Content of /etc/ipfw.rules.conf

#   These rules can be reloaded with out rebooting by issuing this command
#   sh /etc/ipfw.rules.conf

/sbin/ipfw -q -f flush

# Set rules command prefix
# The -q option on the command is for quite mode.
# Do not display rules as they load. Remove during development to see.
cmd="/sbin/ipfw -q add"

# Set defaults
oif="rl0"                    # Nic card to cable modem public internet
connection
odns1="241.250.241.250"      # ISP's dns server IP address

$cmd 00200 divert natd all from any to any via $oif

########  control section  ############################################
# Start of IPFW advanced Stateful Filtering using "dynamic" rules.
# The check-state statement behavior is to match bi-directional packet
traffic
# flow between source and destination using protocol/IP/port/sequence
number.
# The dynamic rule has a limited lifetime which is controlled by a set of
# sysctl(8) variables. The lifetime is refreshed every time a matching
# packet is found in the dynamic table.

# Allow the packet through if it has previous been added to the
# the "dynamic" rules table by an allow keep-state statement.
$cmd 00400 check-state

# Run all private LAN xl0 packet traffic through the dynamic rules
# table so the IP address are in sync with Natd.
$cmd 00500 allow all from any to any via xl0 keep-state

# Deny all fragments as bogus packets
$cmd 00530 deny all from any to any frag in via $oif

# Deny  ACK packets that did not match the dynamic rule table
$cmd 00540 deny tcp from any to any established in via $oif

########  outbound section  ############################################
# Interrogate packets originating from behind the firewall, private net.
# Upon a rule match, it's keep-state option will create a dynamic rule.

# Allow out non-secure standard http function
$cmd 00600 allow tcp  from any to any 80  out via $oif setup keep-state

# Allow out secure www function https over TLS SSL
$cmd 00601 allow tcp  from any to any 443 out via $oif setup keep-state

# Allow out access to my ISP's Domain name server.
$cmd 00610 allow tcp  from any to $odns1 53 out via $oif setup keep-state
$cmd 00611 allow udp  from any to $odns1 53 out via $oif keep-state

# Allow out send & get email function
$cmd 00630 allow tcp from any to any 25,110 out via $oif setup keep-state

# Allow out & in FBSD (make install & CVSUP)  functions
# Basically give user id [ROOT]  "GOD"  privileges.
$cmd 00640 allow tcp from me to any out via $oif setup keep-state uid root

########  inbound section  ############################################
# Interrogate packets originating from in front of the firewall, public net.

# Allow in www http access to my apache server
$cmd 00800 allow tcp from any to any 80 in via $oif setup keep-state limit
src-addr 4

# Allow  TCP FTP control channel in & data channel out
$cmd 00810 allow tcp from any to me 21  in via $oif setup keep-state limit
src-addr 4
$cmd 00811 allow tcp from any 20 to any 1024-49151 out via $oif setup keep
limit src-addr 4

# Allow in ssh function
$cmd 00820 allow log tcp from any to me 22 in via $oif setup keep-state
limit src-addr 4

# Allow in Telnet
$cmd 00830 allow tcp from any to me 23 in via $oif setup keep-state limit
src-addr 4

This is just a sample from which you can build from. The main thing is it
demonstrates how to code and organize your advanced stateful rules file.