Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:13:09 -0700
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM, mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com
Subject:   Re: does CAM do this?

>> Some drives- including Exabytes- can come up in fixed block mode
>> as the default. It's a property of the drive, not the tape.
>
>Er, so you (or more likely the tape driver) puts it into variable length block
>mode?  If it hurts the other way, don't do it that way?

Yes. And hunt around for f/w to try and flash into the device
or do a mode select with "SAVE PARAMETERS" to force it the
way you like. See the mfg's manual. Good luck. Come back
with your P cable in hand or around your neck. Don't leave
it on the battlefield.....urp... I should really take the
weekend off..