Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2020 19:19:51 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic photo viewing/editing for Xfce?

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 00:40:04 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>Polytropon wrote:
>> > By your personal experience, what software do you use for photos: a
>> > convenient viewer/slideshow, and a basic editor (cropping,
>> > rotating...)?
>>
>> In the past I've been using xzgv (here: "xzgv -tzf <files>",
>> to be exact), but the versions after 0.8_9 have been
>> continuously disimproved. That's why today I'd say EOG or
>> Geeqie; I hope I got the spelling right because it's not
>> that easy to remember all those strangely spelled made-up
>> names...
>>
>> Both support manual and automatic "slide change" as well
>> as fullscreen modes.
>>

>> > Gimp would be an overkill.
>>
>> I'm using Gimp. ;-)
>>
>> Have you considered trying Krita?
>>
>> There's also Pinta and DigiKam, but I have never used them,
>
>Wow! They have so many dependencies, I'd rather use gimp :-) Still,
>it's too complicated.

If disk space isn't an issue, don't care about the amount of
dependencies. In my experiences with Linux, _not with FreeBSD_
machines_, GIMP way more often tends to be broken, than Krita does. OTOH
Krita's pitfall are display colour settings.
Unlikely GIMP or Krita will be to complicated for your propose after
using them a few times to crop and rotated pictures, but unfortunately
they are a PITA to use as an image viewer, since it takes way to long
to load a picture.
I've got nearly all available Linux viewers installed, non of them is
to my taste. However, if you want to do simple editing and fast viewing,
consider to sync with a smart phone or tablet PC ;).
A problem with at least iPadOS is the HEIC format and while I'm on a
rolling Linux release (Arch Linux), I still needed to build...

$ sudo pacman -Syu
[snip]
warning: ifuse: local (1.1.3.r6.ge75d32c-1) is newer than community
(1.1.3-6)
[snip]

..ifuse myself. Not necessarily needed to sync pictures, but other sync
options come with pitfalls, too. Using it is a PITA, but fortunately
iPadOS allows to connect to a shared external drive. I don't know if
iOS and Android allow this, too.

I do understand that you want to do it with FreeBSD. I would like to do
it with Linux. Since FreeBSD and Linux software doesn't provide what we
want to do, this is a workaround.

One machine not necessarily needs to do a good job for everything. My
dishwasher isn't that good, when using it as a sandwich toaster.