Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 17:11:23 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: divert and ethernet addresses?

On the subject of Re: divert and ethernet addresses?, Archie Cobbs stated:

> > Is there anyway to get a divert that sees the full ethernet packet so work can
> > be done based on the source/destination ethernet addresses?
>
> No, unfortunately.. divert is an IP level mechanism (wheras BPF is
> an interface and hardware level mechanism).
>
> BPF does let you write, but you can't stop incoming packets from
> being received (ie., you just get a copy, there's no way to actually
> "divert" them..)

That should be good enough.  Im attempting to make a very simple smart hub,
that lets me control what ethernet addresses pass between two networks.  My
only concern is that it wont be able to handle the traffic quickly enough to
work :(  We'll just have to see..

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich