Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:06:15 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jason '...' Kocol" <mrkocol@cv.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mailer not functioning after upgrade

mrkocol> There are some obvious differences between the two
mrkocol> ('relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]' vs. 'relay=local', etc.), except I
mrkocol> am not sure if they are the cause of what is wrong here.  At this
mrkocol> point the only way I am able to send and receive mail internally
mrkocol> is if I enable sendmail.  Doing this adds approximately 5 minutes
mrkocol> to my boot time, so I would like to avoid enabling it.  I also
mrkocol> never needed it before.

Read /etc/mail/README for an explanation of how mail is submitted and why
you need at least a localhost-only listening daemon or methods of
reconfiguring so you don't.

As far as the delay at startup, that usually means there are timeouts
trying to resolve your hostname or the IP address -> hostname lookups for
any network interfaces.