Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 22:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        Chase Paglee <chinalaw@qis.net>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD Questions

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Chase Paglee wrote:

> I have a bunch of questions.

6 days ago I didn't know squat about FreeBSD...I am answering MOST of
these questions off the top of my head based on what I have read in the
FAQ, and Handbook at www.freebsd.org....you should go and do the same.
They are LENGTHY...but it will be worth your time...for you and others.

> 1.    Why do you recommend not using 386sx.  Is this just speed problem,
> or is it stability problem?

386sx chips have a 16-bit external bus...this MIGHT introduce
instabilities in the system, but it would DEFINITELY be dog-slow.  Have
you ever run any OS on the minimum configuration?  The result is almost
ALWAYS painful.

> 2.    Does FreeBSD support Immation 120MB floppy drive?

If that is an LS-120 compatible drive, then yes, it should.

> 3.    Is there any way to run FreeBSD from floppy?

Look at PicoBSD, it is FreeBSD designed to run from a floppy disk.

> 4.    Can I load FreeBSD from memory, and then take out the FreeBSD
> floppy and use other floppies?

This one I am guessing at...you need a root filesystem SOMEWHERE.  If
that root system is on the floppy, then you cannot unmount it (a necessary
step prior to ejecting it) and expect the system to operate.  If the
floppy has only the kernel on it, with the root partition on a hard drive
(presumably without FreeBSD boot code on it), then all the computer gets
from the floppy is the boot code and kernel, which, once in memory always
in memory, so you can unmount it and use the "swappies".

> 5.    Do I have to have XWindows to run Netscape on FreeBSD?

Yes.

> 6.    Which version of Netscape should I run on FreeBSD?

The lastest for FreeBSD...right now it is 4.05.

> 7.    Do I have to have XWindows to run WordPerfect on FreeBSD?

What version of WordPerfect?  I don't know if the DOS emulation software
is an X app or not...but I'd guess no.  There's no reason to restrict it
to X.

> 8.    Is there any charge if I use FreeBSD in a commercial application?

None. Zilch. Zippo.  Be sure to read the BSD license and give credit where
credit is due.

> 9.    Suppose I have a special graphics card.  Where could I find
> someone to write a driver for it?

Look at www.xfree86.org for starters.  And the SVGA server may very likely
be all you need.  The X Servers are are FAR more flexible (infinitely more
so) than any equivalent DOS or Windows drivers, which only make use of a
few "standard" video modes.

> 10.   Does FreeBSD support foreign characters (like Chinese characters)?

No idea.