Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:56:00 -0500
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /usr filesystem crashing

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-RC on an Athlon system that serves as our office
fileserver (it has a Promise IDE RAID card and two mirrored 1-month old
40GB drives). I'm having some filesystem problems that fsck doesn't seem
to fix. There is something going wrong with /dev/ar0s1g (my /usr slice).

If left alone, with little activity, the machine seems to do OK. I can
cause it to crash at any time, however, but doing something like running
cvsup or trying to upgrade a big port. It crashes and dumps me into
single-user mode to "run fsck manually."

I've been running fsck repeatedly. Each time I run it, it finds problems
with the /dev/ar0s1g slice. I can answer "Yes" to the recovery questions
(or "No" for that matter) and reboot, but I can always crash the system
again. I can even run fsck serveral times in a row and it reports
problems (different inode numbers) each time.

There are a few other problems the system is having (SSH, cups, and
nmbd), but I suspect they're related to this disk issue. I've tried
updating to 4.7-STABLE, but the filesystem locks up before I can get
through it.

Any thoughts (besides re-formatting, which I may do next week)?

Thanks!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith@code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large