Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:23:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de (Michael Beckmann)
Cc:        spork@super-g.com, isp@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INN history file and disk I/O

> Hi,
>
> > Buyer beware, Gigabyte is playing games with the specifications and
> > register usage of the Triton-I and Triton-II chipsets to get away with
> > these 6 SIMM slots.  These chip sets have 8 programmable DRAM row size
> > registers, each _SIDE_ of a SIMM requires one of them to be programmed,
> > you can _ONLY_ run 4 double sided simms with these chip sets.
>
> According to the HX manual you can use 6 SIMMs with 8 MB each in it, and
> these are double-sided.

Then Gigabytes HX manual is in conflict with the Intel 82439HX databook,
and somehow I trust the databook far more than I do Gigabyte MB manual.

> OTOH, who cares whether one can put 6 double sided SIMMs in it.

Anyone who is buying this board thinking they can load it with 6 32MB
simms for a total memory capacity of 192MB, thats who cares!!

> There are
> so many valid combinations that I don't see this as a problem.

Trust me, as a system builder, it _IS_ a problem.  Both at initial
machine configuration time (if I preload the system with 4 32MB simms
there is no way to field expand the memory without tossing what is
already in it away).  Now your clone a day shop down the street wouldn't
think twice about doing that because he usually doesn't really care
about the customer 3 to 6 months down the road.  I do care, and don't
like to give customers false senses of upgradeabiliy.

> The 586 ATE and HX mainboards I have used work just fine, I haven't
> seen one fail yet.

The 586ATE board does infact run just fine, and I can't recall exactly
what it was about it that stopped me from adding it to my product line,
perhaps that it offered nothing over my current product line.

> That's just my personal experience. I'm not religious about mainboards,
> but I don't have the impression that Asus boards have significantly fewer
> bugs and problems. Gigabyte definitely belongs to the good equipment.

I can agree that buying Gigabyte would be better than buying a lot of
other boards out there.

> > Gigabyte dirty little move is to _ONLY_ allow single sided SIMMS in 2
>
> Wow, you make it sound as if Gigabyte were posessed by the wicked one ;-)

I consider miss leading datasheets to be wicked, yes I do consider Gigabytes
marking department to be ``posessed by the wicked one'' for the particular
way the use the 6 simm trick to fool people into thinking they can get more
memory on there boards than any one elses.