Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:25:15 +0100
From:      Willem Offermans <Willem@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
To:        Marten <info@martenvijn.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nanobsd and mutli vap support

Dear Marten and FreeBSD friends,

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 01:49:32PM +0100, Marten wrote:

> > On Mar 9, 2016, at 11:54 AM, Willem Offermans <Willem@Offermans.Rompen.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Marten and FreeBSD friends,
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 11:38:22PM +0100, Marten wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> While it tool me a while how get multi  VAP support working on FreeBSD I made a write
> >> up how to get it working… The site is in dutch, but I think the drawing and configs
> >> are clear enough to save some people some time…
> >>
> >> http://makerspaceleiden.nl/wiki/index.php/NetworkSetup_AP <http://makerspaceleiden.nl/wiki/index.php/NetworkSetup_AP>;
> >>

> >> If another place a full english it wish feel free to copy and translate,
> >> where off course I am willing to help...
> >>
> >> So thanks for all your work,
> >> cheers Marten
> >
> > Maybe I have missed the previous e-mails, but could you provide some
> > context to your project on makerspaceleiden? I would be highly interested.
> > What is ``Alix board'' you are referring to in your text?
>

> Hi Will,
>
> The Alix board are embedded soc boards from pcengines.ch <http://pcengines.ch/>;  here we also got the atheros wlancards, casings, pigtails and antenna’s.
> If are looking for hardware you could also check soekris.com <http://soekris.com/>; .
>
> If you need some hardware for testing pls let me know..
>
> The MakerSpace a kind of offtopic on this list, so ‘ll email you a longer email off list.
>
> But in a null shell:
> Our infrastructure runs FreeBSD on the core router/firewall, mqtt, mail , http server and NanoBSD on the accents points.
> We have linux on the door system (RFID+Actuators) and LoraWan Gateway.
> There some arduino-code on ESP’s (NodeMCU) for our sensor network that posts to the mqtt server..
>
> Kinds regards,
> Marten

I'm planning to ``build'' wireless access points myself. I would love to
run them on nanobsd. I prefer to have several networks at the end:

- admin net1
- gebruikers net2
- gasten net3

Basically the same as you provide in your NetworkSetup_AP. I imagine to
tune a firewall such that the networks (i.e. net1, net2, and net3) are
separated. So that the users (gebruikers) can use the services of an
available server and the guests (gasten) can only use (a limited amount of)
the internet and no access or only limited access to the server.

Would this be possible with your approach?

If yes, could you help me to do this project step by step.

If yes, probably I need to order the appropriate hardware. Can you be more
specific about the hardware you were using?

-Alix board? Which one?
-The board needs to be in a case at the end. Which case?
-Which wireless network adapters?
etc.

I might consider to write a detailed manual on this project. This would
certainly help other people in developing such infrastructure.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Will