Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:02:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Steve Prentice <steve@aries.bbcc.ctc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quotas

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Steve Prentice wrote:

> I need a little help setting up quotas.  I thought I have went through
> every little thing, but nothing works.  I have specified "userquota" and
> "groupquota" in fstab for my /dev/sd0g (/home).  Here is the line in fstab:
> /dev/sd0g		/home	ufs rw 1 1 userquota groupquota

Wrong format.  It should read:

/dev/sd0g	/home		ufs	rw,userquota,groupquota		1 1

> Then I have made the two files quota.group and quota.user in /home.  And
> made them readable and writeable by only root (600).  And made them owned
> by root:wheel.

You don't have to make these; the first time quota is run, it'll do it
for you.  In fact, you shouldn't hand-make them, because I think they
have to be made in a certain format.

Then I ran quotaon -a, and just to make sure quotaon /home.

quotaon -a should be sufficient.  Edit /etc/sysconfig, this is really
where you should turn on quotas, instead of hand-editing the /etc/rc* files.

> Then I ran edquota -g user  (edit quotas for group user) and it worked
> fine.  I put:
> fs /home blocks soft=10000 hard=20000
> edquota returns no errors after saving the file, but if I execute
> quotas -g user   It comes up with quotas:none.  No matter who I put in
> the line in edquota, the two files (quota.group, quota.user) never get
> changed.  Help!! :)

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **