Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 15:50:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Matthew Rochlin <rochlin@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet with JetDirect Network card -- how-to

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Matthew Rochlin wrote:

> Situation: New FreeBSD (v 4.1.1) system just added to my LAN (which for
> ref. consists of The BSD box, a Win2k box, a Mac, and...
> An HP LaserJet 4m+ Postscript/PCLwith a JetDirect (ethernet) printserver
> card (firmware updated to latest).)
> All wired through a linksys switch/router.
[...]
> I can print to the HP network printer from my Mac and my PC.
[...]
> The question:  How do I print to the HP from my FreeBSD machine?
[...]

Matt,

I have a similar situation, except my HP is a venerable LJ4M and I have
a hub rather than a switch. Here's what works for me:

> I gather I have to have an entry in /etc/printcap
[..]

Right. Here's mine: (The printer is called filth, and has an entry in
/etc/hosts. The name is a long story, never mind.)

# HP laser
lp|filth|lj|ps|HP LaserJet 4MV:\
        :sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=:rm=filth:rp=filth:

Note that the JetDirect card "looks" like a remote compuyer that has a
printer (the LJ) attached.

> (Which should enable me to print with lp -d laser FILENAME, I hoped).

I use lpr and it works like a champ.

> I'm missing a lot and don't really know what I'm doing.   I guess I might
> need a Perl script to handle the HP filtering?

No, you shouldn't; just the proper printcap entry, plus an entry in
/etc/hosts (or your local DNS). You don't even need the latter if you're
willing to call the printer by its IP address. The reason I (and
probably you) don't need any filters is because the LJ understands plain
text and it also understands Postscript. PCL is a whole 'nother issue,
about which I know nothing.

> Well, what I'm looking for is a flat out recipie.   DO THIS...

Try my recipe. Tastes great. HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape