Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:06:16 +0100
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Packet loss problem

Hi, I've got a rather strange issue with UDP loss (at least I think it =
is) on my network, and frankly - I'm not sure it's me (think it might be =
the upstream providers stuff). Basically, the situation is this, FreeBSD =
4.8 box connects to the upstream provider, and another one at another =
location acts as a gateway for the customers. The gateway box has very =
high 'drops' on it's UDP sockets, making streaming stuff awful - and =
output of netstat -s (UDP,TCP & IP only) on the gateway box is shown at =
the end of this post. My particular concern is these lines in the UDP =
output "41738 datagrams received
  / 33104 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket " which =
seems an inordinatly high amount. There are no drops due to full socket =
buffers, although I have recompiled the kernel with nmbclusters=3D8192 =
and Maxusers=3D1024 (to increase number of available sockets - =
kern.ipc.maxsockets to 9391), still the loss occurs. Any suggestions, =
and could someone explicitly explain what "broadcast/multicast datagrams =
dropped due to no socket"  means.

Many Thanks

Colin.

---> Output of netstat -s on Gateway Box ----->

tcp:
        40102 packets sent
                14837 data packets (1080215 bytes)
                23 data packets (29468 bytes) retransmitted
                0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
                17949 ack-only packets (669 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                0 window probe packets
                6924 window update packets
                370 control packets
        46602 packets received
                10485 acks (for 1080288 bytes)
                227 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                31029 packets (31656794 bytes) received in-sequence
                132 completely duplicate packets (177030 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                9 packets with some dup. data (3920 bytes duped)
                7375 out-of-order packets (9107920 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                11 window update packets
                0 packets received after close
                0 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        182 connection requests
        14 connection accepts
        0 bad connection attempts
        0 listen queue overflows
        190 connections established (including accepts)
        258 connections closed (including 1 drop)
                19 connections updated cached RTT on close
                19 connections updated cached RTT variance on close
                9 connections updated cached ssthresh on close
        5 embryonic connections dropped
        9539 segments updated rtt (of 9546 attempts)
        9 retransmit timeouts
                0 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
                0 connections dropped by persist timeout
        0 keepalive timeouts
                0 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        1 correct ACK header prediction
        27603 correct data packet header predictions
        15 syncache entries added
                1 retransmitted
                0 dupsyn
                0 dropped
                14 completed
                0 bucket overflow
                0 cache overflow
                1 reset
                0 stale
                0 aborted
                0 badack
                0 unreach
                0 zone failures
        0 cookies sent
        0 cookies received
udp:
        41738 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        0 with bad data length field
        0 with bad checksum
        0 with no checksum
        8443 dropped due to no socket =20
        33104 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket  =
<-- My Particular Concern
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        0 not for hashed pcb
        191 delivered
        254 datagrams output
ip:
        28432403 total packets received
        9 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        211 with data size < data length
        0 with ip length > max ip packet size
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        2585861 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        57 fragments dropped after timeout
        1292902 packets reassembled ok
        9414002 packets for this host
        2 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        17696404 packets forwarded (0 packets fast forwarded)
        16337 packets not forwardable
        0 packets received for unknown multicast group
        0 redirects sent
        15047419 packets sent from this host
        0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        26 output packets discarded due to no route
        97835 output datagrams fragmented
        195670 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
        0 tunneling packets that can't find gif