Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 11:41:44 -0500
From:      Genti Cuni <genti.cuni@rose-hulman.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question on domain and host config for web/mail server

--=====================_52939362==_.ALT

Hi everyone,

I've been playing with FreeBSD 4.0 for the past 3 weeks and have come to
like it very very much. I've managed to get ftp, http, ssh, and samba
running perfectly. My last configuration issue is a little bit beyond me and
I need a little help.

This is the situation. I'm soon going to have DSL service from GTE and I
want my BSD box to be a web, mail, ftp server (no NAT required because I can
get as many IP's as I want). I want to run on it a domain name that my gf
bought, for the purposes of this let's call it www.coolsite.com. I will have
a mostly fixed IP, by that I mean that from what my friends with similar
service tell me, the IPs change about once to twice a month. That's
acceptable for me because I don't need 99.9999% availability online... I
just want to experiment and learn. So I figured I can just go on their page
when the IP changes and change it...
The domain name was bougth at www.register.com. They provide primary and
secondary dns service for it.

Which brings us to question 1.

1) Should I bother running a dns service on my machine ?

I want to use qmail for my mail, and I have set up the MX entry on the dns
at register.com to point at coolsite.com .

what should I use as the hostname for my machine ?

should it be coolsite.com ?

will the DHCP server assign me one if I ask for one ?

or should I call it anything I want... like cooldude ?

how will that affect my hosts entry ?

if someone who's doing something like this already could help me, I would
inifintely appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Genti//

--=====================_52939362==_.ALT

Hi everyone,<br>
I've been playing with FreeBSD 4.0 for the past 3 weeks and have come
to<br>
like it very very much. I've managed to get ftp, http, ssh, and
samba<br>
running perfectly. My last configuration issue is a little bit beyond me
and<br>
I need a little help.<br>
This is the situation. I'm soon going to have DSL service from GTE and
I<br>
want my BSD box to be a web, mail, ftp server (no NAT required because I
can<br>
get as many IP's as I want). I want to run on it a domain name that my
gf<br>
bought, for the purposes of this let's call it
I will have<br>
a mostly fixed IP, by that I mean that from what my friends with
similar<br>
service tell me, the IPs change about once to twice a month. That's<br>
acceptable for me because I don't need 99.9999% availability online...
I<br>
just want to experiment and learn. So I figured I can just go on their
page<br>
when the IP changes and change it...<br>
The domain name was bougth at
They provide primary and<br>
secondary dns service for it.<br>
Which brings us to question 1.<br>
1) Should I bother running a dns service on my machine ?<br>
I want to use qmail for my mail, and I have set up the MX entry on the
dns<br>
at register.com to point at coolsite.com .<br>
what should I use as the hostname for my machine ?<br>
should it be coolsite.com ?<br>
will the DHCP server assign me one if I ask for one ?<br>
or should I call it anything I want... like cooldude ?<br>
how will that affect my hosts entry ?<br>
if someone who's doing something like this already could help me, I
would<br>
inifintely appreciate it.<br>
Thank you in advance,<br>
Genti//<br>