Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 04:40:45 -0500
From:      Nick Slager <zith@zith.net>
To:        Adam Bender <abender@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing nVidia drivers

Thus spake Adam Bender (abender@andrew.cmu.edu):

> I'd like to install drivers for 3D acceleartion and such for my nVidia
> GForce 2 card.  I've read several sites that point me in different places
> for the drivers themselves, and nVidia's site has "Linux displayer
> drivers", "graphics drivers", and "platform drivers".  Exactly what
> software do I need?  How do I install it?  Are there any sites that have
> correct information about doing it in FreeBSD and not Linux?  I'm running
> FreeBSD 4.6.2 and XFree86 4.2.

You need native FreeBSD drivers for your nvidia card. Official
nvidia drivers do not exist. Several attempts have resulted in
beta quality drivers at various stages, although 3D and GLX
are not in the feature list.

See http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/

Nick

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
  -- Douglas Adams