Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 2020 17:03:43 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update versions?

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 15:38:38 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 31/05/2020 21:59, @lbutlr wrote:
> > Since there is not a way to see the available versions via the
> > freebsd-update tool, what is the recommended way to get access to a list
> > of what is available for use with freebsd-update -r?
>
> By checking on this web page under 'Production Release':
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/

This (and the "Errata" subpages) are quite informative, but
I assume the information expected is something like this:

	# freebsd-version -ku		<- what we currently have
	12.1-RELEASE-p5
	12.1-RELEASE-p5

	# freebsd-update -e		<- what we could get
	12.1-RELEASE-p7
	12.2-RELEASE

	# freebsd-update -r <choice> upgrade

So by this fictional example, it would now be possible to
upgrade the current 12.1-p5 to 12.1-p7, or upgrade to the
new 12.2 (no patches yet). The option -e / --expect could
for example retrieve and show what could be installed; of
course older releases and patches are not shown because
it's freebsd-update, not freebsd-downdate. Am I thinking
into the right direction? :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany