Date:      23 Feb 2001 11:38:33 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can someone explain this to me?

jason.hunt@niicommunications.com (Jason Hunt) writes:

> /kernel: xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
> /kernel: xl1: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
>

> I got a couple of these this morning, and not sure what
> they are about.  thanks for any help.

Almost certainly running out of mbufs.  You'll need to do some tuning;
see the handbook section "Tuning the FreeBSD VM system".  For quick
tests, you can try using sysctl(8) to kick up kern.ipc.nmbufs, but
increasing MAXUSERS might be better than only increasing the number of
mbuffs, depending on your application mix.