Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:57:18 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        CHUNG BIN <cbchai@pl.jaring.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this a bug

CHUNG BIN wrote:
>     Currently using FreeBSD 3.0R RELEASE.Would like to inquire if this
> is a bug. Telnet into the system from a Windows95/98 system, invoke
> editor "ee" that comes with FreeBSD, then terminate the telnet session
> without escaping or exitting ee and logout. Found out that the ee
> process would not be terminted, instead the CPU consumption for ee
> increase exponentially from  few percent to 99.9% causing the CPU to get
> overheat of extreme load.

Yes, I've noticed that bug for quite a while. It exists up through at
least 3.1-STABLE somewhere between 3.1-R and 3.2-R.

>      The telnet session could be terminated either intentionally or not.
> If not intentionnally, it might be that a sudden electricity black out
> occur, or that the user unintentionally terminated the session, just
> like what a user of my FreeBSD powered system did.If it is intentioned,
> I suppose this bug could pose a threat to the system in that it can be
> used as a DOS, overheating the CPU and bring the system down.

It wouldn't overheat the CPU. The only problem it causes for me is that
my load average goes up and my long-running niced daemons suffer a bit.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>