Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:26:15 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        irado <irado@subdimension.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, pjklist@ekahuna.com
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

* irado (irado@subdimension.com) [020404 15:11]:
> > Poorly implemented and arbitrary "anti-spam" blocking is
> worse than
> > none at all, and we will continue to see innocent people
> getting
> > unnecessarily inconvenienced as a result.
> >
> > Meanwhile, if messages like the following are any
> indication, these
> > "anti-spam" measures aren't even particularly effective
> for their
> > primary purpose.
> >

> > [sent to questions@freebsd.org]
> >
> >>Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 06:30:34 -0600
> >>From: "Phongsin Ch" <Phongsin.Ch@sanmina-sci.com>
> >>Subject: Get more money by e-commerce business .
> >>

> cool.. very cool. I am being upset by these 'anti-spam'
> cause that I am obliged to use my webmail account to deliver
> posts to the list, which is boring.
>
> BTW, will somebody realy take care on this??

	If the spam filtering that the lists implement are not to your
liking, perhaps you can volunteer to help maintain better ones?
Filtering is not a perfect science. It isn't even close.

	I am told that the FreeBSD mailing lists are some of the largest active
lists on the internet. I don't have any statistics to quote, but if this is
true, I would say that 1 spam per day out of nearly a hundred valid posts is
an excellent record. We usually don't even get that.

	Calling the filters poor and abritrary is unfair at best, and ignorant at
worst. The filters that the FreeBSD mailing lists use are common, and found in
lists across the internet. If you run a well maintained mail host, you
shouldn't have problems. If you're forced to use a mail host which breaks some
internet curtosies, is part of a banned netblock, or otherwise misbehaves, I'm
very sorry but this is how the internet works (or doesn't work). Petition your
provider for better mail service, or help to clean up the dirty relays in your
netblock.

	Finally, the mailing lists are free resources, like everything else here.
They are maintained by volunteers, and as such are not a right. Appreciate
what we do have, and help to improve it, rather than bitching about a free
resource that somebody else isn't keeping up to your standards.

=)

--------
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)